To understand Reiki and the hand positions used one will have to have some knowledge of the chakras. The Reiki hand positions as used here in the west covers and treats all the major chakras. The chakras are both connected to the physical organs in our body and the different layers in the aura.
7 centers of energy
Chakra is a Sanskrit word and means “wheel”. A wheel that spins around its own axis and can spin fast or slowly. A chakra will spin in relation to the energy level of your system. Where will you find these chakras? They exist within us all. In the same way that we have a physical body we also have a subtile body. Our chakras are parts of a large network of subtile energies.
Today we know that living cells from humans, animals and plants give off invisible energies. Simple groups of living tissue issue a sort of light (aura) that can be seen on a Kirlian photo. Specialized groups of cells that make up physical organs create more organized energy patterns. The human body’s system consists of sensory, breathing, circulation, digestion, reproduction and secretion. There are six corresponding chakras for these bodily functions. The brain and the whole being also has one chakra, making a total of 7 major chakras. These chakras are situated at the top of the head, forehead, throat, heart, solar plexus, the navel and at the bottom of the pelvis.
The chakras and the physical body
Every chakra has a corresponding organ in our physical system.
- The root chakra belongs together with the large intestine and the rectum. It also has a certain influence on the function of the kidneys.
- The navel chakra belongs to the reproduction system, the testicles and ovaries and also the urinary bladder and kidneys.
- The solar plexus chakra is in relation to the liver, gall bladder, stomach, spleen and the small intestine.
- The heart chakra belongs to the heart and the arms.
- The throat chakra relates to the lungs and the throat.
- The third eye (forehead) chakra belongs to the brain, face, nose, eyes etc.
- The crown chakra does not have a corresponding organ but is related to the whole being.
There is a clear connection between the condition of a chakra and the condition of the corresponding organ. A chakra can be over active, under active or in balance. Using Reiki can give the chakras balance and the organs health.
Chakras and the endocrine system
The chakras change energy from one level to another by distributing Ki (also called Chi, Prana, Mana depending on belief system) to the physical body. This is partly done through the endocrine system that regulates other systems in the body. According to tradition each chakra also corresponds to one of the major glands in the body. The Reiki hand positions not only cover the chakras but also major organs and glands.
- The root chakra is in relation to the adrenal gland.
- The navel chakra to the ovaries or testicles.
- The solar plexus chakra is related to the pancreas.
- The heart chakra belongs together with the thymus.
- The throat chakra corresponds to the thyroid gland.
- The third eye chakra has a connection to the pituitary gland.
- The crown chakra is usually connected to the pineal gland.
The endocrine system plays a major role for the body’s daily health. The glands release hormones directly into the blood stream and control all aspects of growth, development and daily activities.
Physical problems are often the result of a blockage in the energy flow in the system made up of meridians and chakras causing the organs or glands to not function properly.